Prior to 1916:
Sts. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church and School in Detroit served the Maronite community. Many baptisms and weddings were celebrated there in what used to be St. Catherine’s Chapel.
Construction was started on St. Maron Maronite Church on 1555 East Congress St. & Orleans, Detroit, MI
Inaugural Divine Liturgy on April 30, was celebrated by Chorbishop Joseph Shebaia (Founder)
Rectory, Convent & School: built during tenure of Rev. Elias P. Asmar
School: Served by Sisters of St. Joseph, Nazareth, MI
The Congress location was closed when the Urban Redevelopment Agency of Detroit acquired the property for downtown Detroit renewal. A street was named after St. Maron.
St. Maron Liturgies and social functions celebrated at Our Lady of Help Church in Detroit, MI
Contraction began on St. Maron Maronite Church, Hall & Rectory on Kercheval and St. Jean.
St. Maron Maronite Church was elevated to the first Maronite Cathedral in the United States with the establishment of the first Maronite Exarchate and appointment of His Excellency, Bishop Francis Zayek, the first Maronite Bishop to shepherd the Maronite flock in the USA.
The Maronite Eparchy of St. Maron was transferred to Brooklyn, NY.
More history will be added to this page as we sort out facts from fiction and review our records.
We hope that one day you will become an integral part of the history of St. Maron.